Friday, February 15, 2008

A February weekend


Last summer, on a couple of our White Mountain hikes we treated ourselves to a night in an AMC hut in the White Mountains. The huts are located about a day's hike apart along the Appalachian Trail through the White Mountains. Most of them are full-service which means that strong young people trek real food into remote locations on their backs and then cook delicious meals for hungry hikers.

While at Zealand Hut in June, we met a man who introduced himself as an Information Volunteer. His role was to spend the weekend at the hut, help out the croo (the young people who keep things running), answer questions and visit with the guests. That sounded right up my alley, so I applied and was accepted and this weekend is my first "mentoring" weekend. I'll be working at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center with an experienced information volunteer. I honestly don't think I was this excited when I passed the Maine Bar and started to practice law.

Part of that excitement is that this is kind of my first "empty nest" activity. It is something that I am doing just because I want to. I keep re-checking myself to make sure that it is OK for me to do this-- 24 years of mothering--it's a hard habit to break.

AND another thing that I am going to do for the very first time is participate in the Great Backyard Bird Count. Along with my sleeping bag, hiking guides and camera, I'm taking two bird guides, a pair of binoculars and a notebook.

Much to look forward to.

9 comments:

entoto said...

What a great weekend! That sounds fantastic. I wish you much information sharing, and many birds. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

You lucky and deseving dog you. I'll be waiting for a full report when you get back!

beckie said...

Good for you!! As wivies, mothers and working girls, we don't, won't, or can't take time for ourselves. And that is such a shame. If we are not careful, we become boring, left behind, out of the loop women. While it is hard to do for ourselves...we must! Can't wait to hear about your new adventures.

Pappy said...

Yes, hurry and do all the empty nest things you can. It only lasts until the next hatchlings come along and then the nest gets reused. Have a great weekend.

Ruth said...

Sounds like a great weekend. You will keep young by reinventing yourself.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog though Trixie's. All I can say is, "Can I be you for a day?" :) Thanks for sharing. And let me tell ya, I'm finding that that proverbial "empty nest" is 1) not so bad; and 2) not REALLY empty!

Kathie Brown said...

Beth, I'm so glad you are participating in the GBBC. I checked the Maine Stats and saw some checklists submitted from Dixfield. Is that you? Have a fun weekend birding. I can't wait to hear how you did. I had a new bird show up at my feeders on the first day of the count. Would you believe a pine siskin?

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are going to involved with the GBBC and looks like a great place to be for the weekend!

Larry said...

That sounds exciting-I'd love to do something like that but I don't have much experience in mountain hiking.-Hope you enjoy yourself.