Monday, March 3, 2008

Showing Brother my favorite tree

This afternoon I was able to meet up with brother at our parents' home. He was rested from his flight from Kyrgyzstan and a few days away from his flight home to Chile. We donned snowshoes and I took him on a hike to see my favorite tree. It was difficult breaking trail through the woods--my last visit to the tree had been at Thanksgiving before all the snow.

There will be many posts ahead about this tree. I love it--the ground feels consecrated--there is something intentional about the way the trees have grown together. Brother even felt it--he said that the hairs were standing up on the back of his neck. Of course, our family has a genetic tendency toward fancy.

It was very special to spend a few hours with him today. Since 1979 we have lived in different parts of the country--now we live in different parts of the world and it has been many years since I have seen him. Somehow, though, all the years and distance melted away with a hug.

6 comments:

Pappy said...

Good to see your brother again. He looks just like I remember him. Thanks for the photos.

Beth said...

He hasn't changed much at all, it was good to see him.

Phyllis Hunt McGowan said...

That's lovely- both the tree and the family story are special.

beckie said...

What a great thing to share. Almost like sharing a secret!

Kathie Brown said...

Beth, how nice to have your brother visit after all that time. How amazing that he wanted to trek through snow to see your favorite tree! I have 3 brothers and only 1 I can think of might do that with me! What kind of tree is it? The trunk with all those arms is huge! I know what you mean about trees! I love them myself and have been known to name them and talk to them and hug them. In my yard in Livermore Falls there was a clump of 7 birch trees that I named for all the women in my family. You can't go wrong with a good tree! They are alive and they have souls!

Larry said...

That's nice that you had a chance to visit with your brother.The tree reminds me of one of those swamis with 8 arms.