Friday, April 25, 2008

Seeing the Cordillera


After our nearly disastrous hike on Tuesday, we spent a day nursing our wounds and studying Google Earth. Then on Thursday we decided to try again.

The rest of the family was busy figuring out the flowers for the wedding and various other things that confused me so C and I headed back up the mountain using the route that we had discovered on the way down two days earlier.

We started out at 2:30 p.m. and set a turnaround time for 5 p.m. since it is full dark here by 7. By 4:30 we had climbed high enough to see over the Coastal Range and to the mountains of my dreams--the Andes--rising up into the sky like clouds. By 5 we were at the summit and I was the happiest lady in the world.

I can remember once on a car trip when I was a little girl crying as I looked out the window upon realizing that the mountains that I had been looking at were actually clouds--this time they were really mountains and no tears were shed.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Beth, I've missed so much here. I'm trying to catch up!

This post is wonderful. I'd be smiling with you, too. What a view!

Mary

Kathie Brown said...

Oh, hurray! Hurray! I am so happy for you!