With the internet at our fingertips, there is no reason to wonder about anything for more than a few moments any more. I googled Steven Colbert and Law and Order and discovered that I was correct but it led me to other discoveries as well.
Apparently Steven Colbert's father and two older brothers died in an Eastern Airlines airplane crash on September 11, 1974 when Steven was ten years old. The comic talks about this early tragedy in a 60 Minutes Interview
In addition to being sad for those that lost so much that day, I was struck by the date--September 11. I remembered from our trip to Chile that the coup that brought Pinochet to power and in which Salvadore Allende died was on September 11, 1973.
How could so many sad things happen on one date? Next I googled September 11 and found that indeed a lot of well-known events occurred on that date
- 1609, Henry Hudson came across Manhattan Island and the natives living there
- 1792, the Hope Diamond was stolen
- 1857, the Mountain Meadow Massacre in Utah where my relative William Aden was killed.
- 1941, ground broken for the construction of the Pentagon--ironically damaged during the attacks of September 11, 2001.
- 1978, President Carter, President Sadat and Prime Minister Begin entered the Camp David Peace Accords
- 1987, Dan Rather walked off the set of the CBS Evening news leaving six minutes of dead air
- 1835, Charles Dawin reached the Galapagos Islands
- 1928, Alexander Fleming discovered the mold growing in his laboratory which would lead him to discovering penicillin.
- 1963, the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing occurred, killing four children
- 1981, The U.S. Senate judiciary committee approved Sandra Day O'Connor to become the first female Supreme Court Justice
- 1997, Google was founded!!!
Try googling your birthday without the year and see what wikepedia shows you!