Monday, February 23, 2009

After the Storm

Today, everything was canceled. Maine dug out from more snow than we have seen in one storm in the ten years that I have lived here.

Archie and Brent spent the afternoon shoveling out the fire hydrants in nearby Canton. It's a nice little job and easy money after a 6 inch snow storm--today though they earned every penny. I drove them from hydrant to hydrant parking alongside, blinkers flashing, nose in a book hoping that the logging trucks rumbling past had room to get by.
After the fire hydrants, we headed over to my parents' house to help them shovel out their generator. As we traveled through a town called Hartford which must have a miniscule snow removal budget anyway, we came upon their lone plow hopelessly stuck in the snow. Just past the stranded plow, the road went to one poorly plowed lane and then to a mound of snow--no one was getting through on that road. Fortunately, after expertly executing a 16-point turn, we were able to navigate our way back through Hartford and to other roads leading to my mom and dad and steaming bowls of red beans and rice!

17 comments:

LoveANewIdea said...

Listening to the news tonight, and hearing Charlie Gibson talking about the state of emergency in parts of Maine - sounds as if you all got clobbered! Good luck digging out...

The Buck Shoots Here said...

I find myself wondering how long that town truck was buried, and how it got out. If I were a writer, I'd be well on my way to those answers.

Ruth said...

"After expertly executing a 16 point turn..." lol, I can envision that! Good thing one of those point didn't leave you stuck in all that snow. I hope it melts gradually or you will be washed away.

Kathie Brown said...

Beth, more awesome photos! I hope that plow got out. I'm sure Hartford needed it! We had that much snow and more up in Presque Isle the winter of 97 to 98.

SJ said...

I saw them walking around town and almost pulled over to see if they wanted to tackle my driveway. I ended up borrowing a snow blower and after 3 hours removed all of the snow. The snowbank side was over my head in some parts, I think that I got at least 24 inches.

KGMom said...

OK, I promise not to whine about getting no snow.
BUT I have figured something out--any time our forecasters here say WE are going to get snow, you people living in Maine do get it. Really.
We had snow forecast here--oh, yeah. Like about 10 flakes--not inches, just flakes.
Well, hope you are all OK.
And, if you like, you can send some our way.

Mary said...

That poor lone truck. Wow. Travel safely, Beth!

Cindy said...

Wow, that was a storm. Guess it was a good idea I didn't come up that way last week. I might have gotten snowed in and wouldn't have been able to go back to school today...Gee, on second thought I think I would have liked that. Glad to see you are digging out and all are alright as well as warm again.

Anonymous said...

Snow . . don't you love it? I always bad mouth it but how could I live without it! Ugg . . . we don't have that much but we do have a ton of snow!

Kim said...

I cannot get over how much snow you got. I am glad you and your family were able to dig out of that mess somewhat. I am assuming everything else will be closed tomorrow. How can they possibly clean that up overnight!

Take care....If I lived near you I would be out there helping you shovel some of it!

Pappy said...

No 4000 footers here, but I've never seen a snow-plow operating in the Valley. The red beans and rice are always good reason to keep going. I got your album. Tell hubby not to damage those chord forming fingers. Hope you warm up some and soon. Pappy

KaHolly said...

But wasn't it gorgeous?

KaHolly said...

But wasn't it gorgeous?

Jayne said...

Sending some virtual red beans and rice your way! I can't imagine digging out from a snow like that.

beth said...

well, when the snow plows get stuck....as they say here....you know the driver's an idiot !!

Vickie said...

After all that work, I know steaming bowls were welcomed. Pretty incredible. Makes me appreciate our tiny little blanket of snow that arrived around the same time as yours and began melting away by afternoon!

RuthieJ said...

You know it's bad when the snowplow gets stuck!! I see he even had chains on the back tires -- they don't even do that in Minnesota. But hey, spring is only 3 weeks away, right? ;-)