Saturday, February 7, 2009

Pretty Birds and what to do with a Sunny Saturday

Three goldfinch joined the chickadees at my feeders yesterday. They are so pretty--it's amazing how much color the birds add to the bleak winter landscape. They are kind of like flying flowers.

I am in a quandry about what to do with this day. The thermometer is predicted to hit the freezing mark, something we haven't seen in months and something that I am pretty excited about. So, what to do with it.

I have narrowed my day to two choices.

Either a hike to beautiful frozen Angel Falls or a hike out to check on the beavers. On one hand, the hike to Angel Falls is long but the trail will be broken out by snowmobilers for most of the way and the frozen falls are always stunning to see, on the other hand I haven't checked on the beavers since before Christmas. That trail won't be broken out at all and while much shorter than the one to Angel Falls will probably require a lot of work.

Hmmmm, I'm thinking Angel Falls--the beavers can wait one more week and next weekend my parents, who live on the beaver's property (and pay the taxes for the beavers) will be back from their trip to Texas and can supply me with tea and cookies after the arduous trail breaking.
Decision made.

OK, Angels Falls it is. Check back later for pictures and a trip report.

10 comments:

Kim said...

I am in full agreement with you!! It's best to wait until your parents come home to check on the beavers as you will probably be famished after all of the activity and cookies will be a must!! ;o)

I am off to Belchertown, MA this morning to see if I can spot an eagle. THAT is why I am up at the early hour!

Enjoy your hike and enjoy the weather!

Pappy said...

Kids. Pappy

Beth said...

Kallen, I hope you find your bald eagle--they are such a thrill to see.

Texican, yep.

R. Aastrup said...

I can't wait to see what the falls look like in winter. I've only been there in the summer and fall! Our family cabin is "just" down the road from the falls (albeit several miles) and that's a favorite hike of ours.

NCmountainwoman said...

Definitely wait until the tea is brewed and the cookies are made.

I am just loving your bee narrative. Can't wait to see the hive develop and the bees arrive.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great choice! We have a ton of Robins hopping around out front, I thought they went south? Enjoy your weekend:)

Kathie Brown said...

I'm so excited about your goldfinches! And I can't wait to see Angel Falls or hear about the beavers next week!

KaHolly said...

I spotted an eagle yesterday and it made my day! Hope you chose the falls for this trip. Bet they were beautiful.

Mary said...

Enjoy your heat wave, Beth! LOL!

I read your beaver posts. I don't know if you recall my "grocery store pond" - the one I visit often. There is a very large beaver leveling the place. I'll show more next week. I want to find him in the act.

Jayne said...

What beautiful falls Beth. Looking forward to hearing about the trip and seeing the photos. Indeed, the beavers can wait. ;c)