Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bushels of Blogs

I acquire blogs to visit even faster than I acquire cats. There are over 100 blogs on my Google Reader and I enjoy them all--so how can I possibly choose five to profile in the meme that Sharon of Home is Big Sky Country sent my way?

Her assignment was as follows:

1. Only 5 people allowed.
2. 4 have to be dedicated followers of your blog
3. one has to be someone new or recently new to your blog and live in another part of the world.
4. you must link back to whoever gave you the award.

My interests are eclectic and my daily reads run the gamut from political news in Western Kentucky to daily updates on climbers in the Himalayas and the Alps--realizing that those extremes might be of limited interest to others, I will try and choose five that are representative of the majority of the people that I suspect read this blog.

Marianne of Busha Full of Grace is a teacher and a knitter and a mother and a lover of all that is sweet and simple and natural. Right now, with her youngest child just off to college, she is traveling half way across the country to begin a new life in a new city with everything that is materially important to her packed into her car. I've enjoyed following her world running a nursery school in California and know that I will enjoy watching her try on new experiences in Chicago.

Seabrooke of The Marvelous in Nature is a natural teacher--I say natural and that is true in every sense of the word--she teaches her readers about nature and she does it in a understandable and enjoyable fashion. Her pictures are extraordinary and her posts always leave me looking at the world around me with a new understanding.

There is never a question of what to make for supper or what to read if you are a follower of Nan from Letters from a Hill Farm. We share the world of northern mountains--she lives in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and her world is very similar to mine--although her flowers and meals are much more appealing.

One of the many bloggers who I wish would get a publishing contract is The Elementary of Crumbs from the Corner: Adventures in Woolgathering. Her little snippets always leave me wanting more and I can imagine that each one is written with a twinkle in her eye and a barely muffled giggle. Her love of Spouse, Mater and the Irish homeland are just a few of the subjects that suffuse her stories.

The newest blogger on my reader is daughter Sara of Panopticon. This girl can spin a tale and like The Elementary there is hilarity spilling from her fingertips. She started her blog last week to get it up and running before heading to Macedonia later in the month. There are only a few posts so far but they are all golden. Snowflakes will get you hooked.

Happy Thursday!

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Thanks for taking the challenge, Beth. I love your selections, and you can bet that I will be visiting each -- and maybe adding one or two to my blog list.

Lavinia said...

I checked out Sara...yeah she's pretty funny!

Seabrooke said...

Thanks for the nomination, I'm flattered you chose to include mine of all your possibilities! Like you, I'll have trouble narrowing down my lengthy blogroll to just five, but I'll do my best!

Nan said...

Oh, Beth!! I am so very touched. Really. I am definitely a 'dedicated follower' (now you've got me singing the Kinks song!) of your blog. You make me think I need to post more about food and books. :<) Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Letters from a Hill Farm is one of my favorite blogs. I just found my way here from there.

I love your photos of Maine. As a New England girl now living in the inland northwest I get sentimental remembering the good times I've had in Maine and New Hampshire and on the cape and in Boston . . .

md

Phyllis Hunt McGowan said...

Beth, thanks for the mention! Some of these blogs I haven't looked at before, including of course, Sara's blog- off to look at that in a moment. I haven't found time for much blog reading all this week long, so I put that off until I could look at her blog properly.
I'm very flattered by your words, it's just the boost I need :) thank you. Who knows what might happen... a publishing deal would be mighty fine :)