Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Abundant Fungi


Our local newscast sometimes runs pieces from the network to fill out the broadcast and it is often amusing when the camera cuts back to the anchors and they are speechless at some segment with absolutely no relevance to life in Northern New England.

This morning during the 5:30 a.m. half hour, they ran a segment from some other part of the country on the risks of overwatering your lawn--this is not something that we have to worry about--especially not this summer. The last I heard we have had 10 inches of rain in August on this the 12th day of the month. Apparently, one of the signs that you have over-watered your lawn is a crop of mushrooms--Check!

These are so pretty with their frilly edging. I can't find them in my Audubon pocket guide--does anyone know what they are called?




Mushrooms fascinate me--I am drawn to the way they draw their life from the death of other organisms--their existence is such a useful cog in the wheel of life.

8 comments:

Ruth said...

We have many mushrooms on our sandy lawn this year, and we haven't had the hose out once. We have been deluged with rain so far in August. I wouldn't hazard a guess on their ID, nor will I pick ours for supper!

beckie said...

Beth, I suppose over watering could be considered the same as having too much rain.:) You are not usually this wet are you? The Shaggy Manes( or should that be Maines?) do resemble the Easter Island statues-right down to the faces. We get little button types here sometimes that form fairie rings. They are amazing to see, the perfectly round circles of fungi!

KGMom said...

I had to laugh at your post title--abundant fungi. Very lyrical.

Jayne said...

They are the coolest things, aren't they? I love seeing all the different varieties too. They seemingly come out of no where. :c)

Pappy said...

Pappy

Nan said...

Do you have lotsa sun today?! Finally. I'm not a mushroom fan; they actually creep me out. Here's a story I thought you might like, especially the words at the end. :<)

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?articleId=2be43104-4e9e-433d-94df-b8a2ecd7d43d&headline=Septuagenarian+hikers
+get+a+recall+from+home

Mary said...

Hi Beth,

Mushrooms appear ovenight! Like you, they amaze me with the different shapes, colors, and sizes. I find it difficult to imagine that you received so much rain in one month. That total equals more than six months here. We are not allowed to overwater :o) So I don't know much about the hazards, except that it might become very buggy!

Mary

Anonymous said...

I've been having much fun reading your blog, but wanted to chime in to say: I don't think those are shaggy manes. I may be mistaken, but I think they're Amanita mushrooms, some of which are fatally poisonous. Yours aren't open all the way, is all. You can read the survivor story of a local man who made the same mistake on my blog. But my comment is a little late--I'm glad you didn't eat them.