Wednesday, October 29, 2008

From Macedonia via Skype

Sara has been in Macedonia a month now and is settling in pretty well. Until late December, she will be in training with intensive language immersion that includes daily classes and life with a host family in the city of Veles which is smack, dab in the middle of Macedonia. She seems happy and is enjoying her adventure and learning about her new culture and language.

Sara is a picky eater, she does not mind eating the same thing meal after meal, day after day, week after week but there are only certain things that she can manage to eat. After a month of experimenting and without a common language, her host mother has figured out that she likes cucumbers and radishes and cheese and bread.

The host mother sounds very sweet and is taking good care of her. The first day that Sara was there, host mother walked her to school--holding her hand when they crossed the street.

Sara is a very petite person and, in addition to being particular about her food, she is particular about the length of her pants. She has to have them hemmed when they are new because we can never buy them the right length, but I have learned through years of trial and error that the hem must be barely above the ground at the back of her shoes. Host mother told Sara that her pants, carefully hemmed to specifications by me prior to departure, were not beautiful so while Sara was off at the internet cafe, host mother cut 2-1/2 inches off all of her pants and hemmed them so that she would be beautiful. Oh dear.

She is loving learning about the culture and while this culture misses her, the internet does make it all a lot easier.

12 comments:

Ruth said...

Skype is great! I had a chuckle about the pants. That was quite a chop. I am sure Sara's experiences will be life-changing.

judi/Gmj said...

I have to laugh, poor Sara, when we lived in Korea and T. was four years old, she had long blond hair that the Koreans loved to touch, she didn't appreciate it. she struck a grandmother once, I thought we were going to jail! That afternoon I cut her hair off in a short pixie and put a hat on her head every time we went out.

truewonder said...

I have a daughter as well...never has she left the country without me, but she is a Red Cross volunteer and ended up in Louisiana when Katrina reared her ugly head. Worry and wonder if everything I taught her would see her through- hoping you're hanging in there. How proud you must be of your girl, and adventurer like mom? Though the pants must have really provoked much patience and grace and on her part. Blessings to you both, take care-

Mary said...

Beth, I had time to read your posts today at the office but I had trouble commenting - it's our connection at work that's acting poorly...

Your stories always delight me when I visit...

Sara is a strong woman and will handle short pants very well :o) I had a giggling fit about that... My daughter might not be as easy-going. Nor would I!

I applaude and admire you and Sara.

Hugs,
Mary

Sharon said...

Sara may, indeed, appreciate you more as her mom-who-understands-and-appreciates-her-identity, now that she has experienced Macedonian host mom :)

beckie said...

I had been wondering how Sara was doing(and you too). Sounds as though she is adjusting pretty well to a new life style. Such adventure she is having and will have and sharing them with her MOM. Yeah for the internet.

Beth said...

Ruth, yes I have trouble imagining what 2-1/2 inches looks like but I am sure she will look less American and more local if she wears her clothes in their fashion--I just imagine that it was quite a shock.

GMJ, I have heard about the hair touching and can imagine Sara at 4 punching a grandmother over something like that--fortunately, she's aged well and I don't think that host mother suffered as a result of the tailoring of the pants.

Truewownder, I imagine Louisiana after Katrina was scarier than most any 3rd world country. I can tell by reading your blog that you have taught your children well.

Mary, I always enjoy your comments and imagine you as someone that I would giggle together with very easily. Your posts always make me chuckle (when they don't make me cry).

Sharon, yes that's true and I am certainly glad that another mom is looking after my girl.

Beckie, I thought it was time for a Sara update. She has not been able to post on her blog but one time since she's been there and I know a lot of people who follow my blog wanted an update--so I'll do that from time to time. Yeah internet!

Jayne said...

Oh my. Well. I am sure she will adapt to "being beautiful." :c)
So cool that you all can connect this way.

Pappy said...

Great post. I have been eagerly awaiting news from Macedonia. We have heard the Macedonian call today.... Tell her we all send our best. Pappy

Kathie Brown said...

Beth, I cracked up about the hemmed pants! I always have to hem Gus' as they don't sell them that short in the store! I hope she can deal with those beautiful new pant hems!

Beth said...

My daughters just made a commitment to go to Macedonia this summer. I have to find out more about their trip (short term missions) and where they are going...perhaps there could be some sort of connection...

RuthieJ said...

What an experience for Sara - it sounds like she's getting along good and her host family is very caring. I'm glad you are all able to stay in touch via the internet.