Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Down with a bug


On Sunday, the reason for Saturday's poor hiking performance became clear as I started sneezing and coughing and blowing my nose and feeling generally rotten and over the last few nights, as I have tossed and turned feverishly, memories of childhood sick days came back to me.

Back in the day, once my mother had declared me too sick to go to school, she would put my favorite sheets on my bed (I was particularly fond of some with stripes that looked just like fruit stripe gum). Dad would move the TV into my bedroom and I was to "rest".

While everyone else was at school, by a miracle delivered through a little rabbit ear antenna on our not-very-up-to-date black and white TV, I could enter the world of GAME SHOWS. I absolutely loved them all. Wasn't Kitty Carlisle just about the most glamorous woman that ever lived?

What's My Line, To Tell the Truth, Concentration, Password--they were all so much fun to watch and I just knew that the contestants and the celebrities were living lives that I couldn't ever imagine in my little fruit-striped cocoon littered with kleenexes and Nancy Drew books.

Well, we all grow up--there aren't many game shows that appeal to me these days but I've known a couple of people who were contestants on the old game shows. When I lived in San Antonio, years ago a woman from my church was on Price is Right--she was tall and blonde and enthusiastic--perfect contestant material. A friend of mine who practices law with me was on Password during its last season. He has told me the whole story from sending in his application to hugging Betty White--it wasn't quite as good as hugging Betty White myself but I suppose vicarious game show contestanting is about all I'll get.

15 comments:

Sharon said...

I loved all the shows you mentioned, and never did get into any of the you-need-to-jump-&-down-&make-a-fool-of-yourself - OR watch-the-host-make-fun-of-the-contestant-but-keep-on-smilin' game shows.

YouTube has several "What's My Line" clips with celebrities that are great fun to watch...Hope you feel better this week,

Pappy said...

The only thing good about being under the weather is knowing you are going to feel better soon. Hope you are up and hiking before the thaw. Pappy

Anonymous said...

Will the real ill attorney/cousin from Maine please stand up. Only if you feel like it. Take care and get better soon. Remember the Prices are right. No pun intended.

Anonymous said...

I love your recollection of "sick days" when you were young. I've often said over the years as I grew older and cut my hair shorter...that when I was sick (as an older woman)...I wish my hair was long because whenever my sister or I was sick, Mom would braid our hair "to keep it out of the way"....it always seem to make us feel better! And here's to the old game shows and good TV.....and living in San Antonio...I'm in Maine now too

beckie said...

Beth, I know just how you feel. After escaping the bug for weeks that my grands have had and my dear sweet hubbie's long lasting cold, I too have succumbed to a particularly nasty strain of something. Whew! That took a lot of effort just to type that sentence. :}

I remember those childhood sick days fondly. Not so much the being sick part, but being on the couch and watching 'soap operas'. And of course getting to eat where I lay was special.

I wish someone would let me sleep on the couch now and bring me my food and drinks. Alas, I am grown and have grown up responsibilities and have to go to work soon. :{

Take care and try to find the game show network-it has lots of oldies, but goodies on it. And I hope you get well soon(me too)!

beth said...

feel better soon....lather your feet{yes feet} in vicks vapor rub and wear some warm thick socks on your feet and call me in the morning !!!

LoveANewIdea said...

Love your descriptions - the fruit strip gum bedsheets - I really get such a picture and feel for the room, and your nice parents.

KGMom said...

Oh--those are the oldies but goodies.
So being sick was almost worthwhile, eh?

Kim said...

The fine memories of childhood and TV shows. My sick favorite was Flipper.

I hope you get well soon.

Jayne said...

Poor Beth! Here... passing you more Puffs Plus and some chicken soup. I used to love the game shows too, and Password was a favorite. Hope you are feeling better soon, even if you can't be in your fruit stripe sheets. :c)

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling well soon Beth. I had this "bug" and was down for a week with it.

Drink plenty of fluids (Ginger Ale), keep warm and get plenty of rest.

Mary C said...

Beth, I hope you are beginning to feel like you are on the mend. That was fun to reminisce with you about times when you were younger while being sick.

June said...

When I hurt my back and had to stay in bed for eight weeks, with only bathroom privileges and an occasional shower, I watched a whole world series with Bob Gibson (I think it was) pitching. It was the most attention I had paid to the finer points of the game and it really took my mind off the pain in my back, And I did not have to have surgery. Thanks for triggering this sick-in-bed-with-TV memory. Big grin.

NCmountainwoman said...

I love those old game shows!

Hope you are better soon.

Anonymous said...

Cute post, sorry to hear you're sick, sounds like one that went around here this winter. A few more weeks and spring will have sprung:)