Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hello from Maine



Oh, it's been a long time since I have written here. What a lot of life there has been since then.

At Christmastime my brother and his family flew up from Chile. His family now includes an ADORABLE chubby cheeked baby. The little baby stole all of our hearts and you can imagine our fears when we woke last Saturday morning to the news that their world had just been shaken beyond imagination.

I saw the news on-line at 5 a.m. and after reading the newswires and watching CNN for 20 minutes decided that I should wake up my parents. The village of Alhue is located about 100 miles as the crow flies from the epicenter of that monster 8.8 earthquake. I wrote quite a bit about Alhue in 2008 when we traveled there for my brother's wedding. Charlie and I headed over to my parents' house to set up Chile Information Central. Between the internet and CNN we were able to gather quite a bit of information but not until our skype icon bounced were we able to learn anything about our family.

Brother had been working in Mexico and was flying back to Chile as the earthquake struck. He was re-routed and landed at the very northern part of the country--some 1500 kilometers from home. He was able to chat with us through skype from the airport and re-assure us. He had little information about his family except that his wife had cut her feet on glass getting out of the house but that everyone was safe. Over the next twenty four hours, he made his way home and we have heard from him sporadically since then. The family is safe but the village is very damaged. All of the adobe buildings crumbled and even the new construction has suffered. They are currently living and sleeping in the courtyard to avoid the risk of the aftershocks and eating their laying hens.

Life can be unexpected and so very frightening sometimes.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

Nice to see you back on blogger. Distance and lack of communication can be so alarming when there is a disaster. Glad your family is fine and that the rebuilding efforts go well.

KaHolly said...

Hi Beth, It's nice to see you back again. I am so glad your brother and his family are safe! What a tragic ordeal. I will look forward to more posts from you regarding their welfare and progress with rebuilding! I perused your archived posts a little to try to learn what brought your brother to Chile. Perhaps I didn't go back far enough? What a beautiful country. My hopes and best wishes will be directed toward them in the days to come!! ~karen

Beth said...

Thanks Ruth--I'm sure you know all about long distance worry. I've missed blogging-will be back now.

Karen, Thanks. My brother went to Chile to consult on a gold mining operation and fell in love with Luz Maria, the culture and the country. He travels all over the world, working with mines but always comes home to his little village in the foothills of central Chile. And, I think it is probably actually as romantic as it sounds.

Sharn said...

Glad to hear that they're together and all well. Will be praying for provision as their community rebuilds.

Jayne said...

Oh my Beth... I'd forgotten about your brother and his family living there. That must have been so scary, watching all the reports and not knowing. Glad they are well, but still... with no home, will they move elsewhere, or stay?

It's so good to see you back my friend. ;c)